Blender Entrée Recipes
Pizza With Golden Raisins, Fresh Mozzarella And Pine Nuts
Ingredients – Makes 4 Servings
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 can (about 12 ounces) whole tomatoes, drained
- 6 fresh basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon and pepper flakes
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
For dough, combine flour, yeast and 1/2 teaspoon salt in medium bowl. Whisk to combine. Stir in water and mix until combined. Knead dough on floured surface 1 minute. Return to bowl; cover and let rise 2 to 3 hours.
For sauce, place garlic in Blender. Pulse on medium low speed 3 to 4 times. Add tomatoes, basil, oregano, red pepper flakes and remaining 1/2 tespoon salt; pulse on medium low speed 4 to 5 times.
Preheat oven to 450°F. Sprinkle baking pan with cornmeal.
Shape dough into 10 to 12 inch disk on generously floured surface. Place dough on prepared baking pan. Top dough with 1 cup sauce, fresh mozzarella, raisins and pine nuts. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until crust is browned and cheese is melted.
Ingredients – Makes 4 to 6 Servings
- cup loosely-packed fresh Italian parsley
- 2 orange rind, cut in 1-inch strips
- 2 medium onions, peeled and quartered
- 2 garlic cloves
- 6 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and quartered or 16 ounces canned tomatoes, drained
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 (2 1/2 lb) frying chickens, quartered (5 pounds total)
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh orange juice (juice from 4 medium oranges)
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
Using steel blade, chop parsley fine; reserve.
Using steel blade, with motor running, drop orange rind through feed tube and process until coarsely chopped. Reserve.
Using steel blade, with on/off turns, chop onions fine, 1 at a time (4 quarters). Drop garlic through feed tube while chopping second onion. Drain as necessary and reserve.
Clean work bowl.
Using steel blade, coarsely chop tomatoes, 2 at a time (if using fresh). Reserve.
In large skillet, over moderate flame, saute onions and garlic until golden.
Add tomatoes, orange juice and 1/4 cup of the chopped parsley.
Cover and cook over low heat until sauce thickens, about 30 minutes. Correct seasoning to taste.
*** To prepare in advance, refrigerate sauce and chicken separately up to this point until ready to cook. ***.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Pour sauce over chicken and sprinkle with chopped orange rind. Cover and bake 20 minutes.
*** To freeze, prepare up to this point, let cool before freezing. To reheat, place in preheated oven and bake approximately 30 minutes. ***.
To serve, pour sauce over chicken arranged on a platter and sprinkle with reserved parsley.
Pasta With Grilled Asparagus Pesto
Ingredients – Makes 6 Servings
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed
- 1/2 cup plus 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup marcona almonds
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons shredded aged Gouda cheese, plus additional for serving
- 1 pound uncooked pasta
Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Place asparagus in large bowl. Drizzle with 1 teaspoon olive oil; toss to coat. Grill 5 to 7 minutes or until asparagus begins to char. Let cool slightly.
Cut asparagus into 2-inch pieces. Place asparagus, almonds, garlic, lemon juice, salt and nutmeg in Blender. Pulse on medium low speed 8 to 10 times. Add remaining olive oil, 2 tablespoons at a time, pulsing once or twice until pesto just begins to blend. Do not overprocess.
Transfer pesto to large bowl; stir in Gouda.
Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain pasta, reserving 1/2 cup cooking water. Add to pesto, tossing to coat and adding cooking water as needed for desired consistency.
Serve immediately with additional Gouda, if desired.