ChefSteps Joule Sous Vide
ChefSteps Joule Sous Vide
Have you thought of trying sous vide cooking? Sous vide is a method of cooking that keeps the flavor, moisture, and tenderness inside the food. You may have already had it at a high-end restaurant and not known. You will love the way that the ChefSteps Joule Sous Vide cooker excels at cooking meat, vegetables, and anything else you can think of quickly, simply, precisely, and consistently every time.
Name: ChefSteps Joule Sous Vide
Price: See the Amazon link below for current price
Manufacturer: ChefSteps, Seattle WA
Founders: Chris Young (CEO) & Grant Lee Crilly (CCO)
Overall Rank: 95 out of 100
ChefSteps Joule Sous Vide
The ChefSteps Joule Sous Vide has been called the Apple of Sous Vide due to its similarities to the iconic Apple devices. It features a sleek, elegant white finish. The on/off button and plug mimic the typical Apple design. And the resemblance continues right to the high-tech control by an app. That’s right, you control the ChefSteps Joule Sous Vide with your tablet, cell phone or even with your Amazon Alexa.
It is a comparatively small device, you can easily store it in a cupboard drawer. However, it is a rugged device built for use on a daily basis. There is no display on the ChefSteps Joule Sous Vide itself and this cuts the weight in half compared to its competition.
The single button on the Joule turns it on and off. But, that’s all it needs to do. The intelligent software gets smarter with each update. The button thus acquires new capabilities, such as remembering the last used temperature. Your favorite temperature is just a double-click away.
The ChefSteps Joule Sous Vide has Bluetooth LE and WiFi built-in. You can start and control your sous vide from the bus, your work, or anywhere you want. All you need to get cooking is your cell phone, a pot, a zip-lock bag, and water.
The magnetic base and versatile clip make it easy to attach to almost any container, pots, pans, coolers, or even your kitchen sink. And its easy to clean. Just unscrew the foot, rinse and wipe clean with a soft sponge. The unit is completely sealed, nothing can get inside.
- Stainless Steel Cap and Base – for maximum durability and corrosion resistance.
- Space-saving – half the size and weight of other sous vide machines.
- Visual Doneness™ – how your cooked food will look is shown in the Joule app before you even start cooking.
- High tech – equipped with Bluetooth and WiFi ready for remote control. Also works with Amazon Alexa.
- Indicator light on the device shows
- Joule app – starts/stops and controls the unit and also comes with 100+ chef-designed cooking guides.
- Powerful – 1100 watts of power heats water faster than most sous vide water circulators.
- 360-degree inlet flute – cool water is drawn in from the bottom of the vessel for even cooking.
- Neodymium magnetic mount – clings to cast iron, steel, and induction ready pots with up to 6 pounds of force.
- Secure data transfer over WiFi and Bluetooth Smart
- Thermal cutoff protection
- High current protection
- Precise – temperature controlled to within 0.2ºF (0.1ºC).
- Full -service support – and 90-day 100% satisfaction, money-back guarantee.
Capacity: Maximum bath volume 10+gal (40+L)
Finish: White, extruded polycarbonate body, Stainless Steel Cap & Base
Power: 1100 Watts
Voltage: 120VAC, 60 Hz.
Dimensions: 11″ (280 mm) x 1.9″ (47 mm) x 1.9″ (48.3 mm)
Weight: 1.28 lbs. (580 g)
The Pros & the Cons
- Small size and lightweight for easy storage
- Precise temperature control for consistent results
- Fast heating
- Bluetooth and WiFi ready
- Uses your cell phone as controller
- Excellent support and frequent software updates with new features, improved functionality, and reliability
- Visual Doneness™ provides visual preview of the desired result before cooking
- Sturdy, well-built
- Easy to clean
- Must use cell phone to see settings and monitor progress as there is no built-in display
- Customers have complained that the app is slow and has some non-critical flaws but they love the Joule device
Cooking With The ChefSteps Sous Vide
The possibilities for cooking with the ChefSteps Joule Sous Vide are endless. The Joule app is loaded with basic cooking guides that walk you through to the finished product with video guides. The recipe tab on the ChefSteps website, www.chefsteps.com has hundreds of free recipes with more added regularly. For example, some of the many recipes available are:
- Ultimate Poached Egg Upgrade
- Can’t F***-It-Up Eggs Benedict
- Brilliant Butternut Squash
- Fresh & Vibrant Sweet Potatoes
- Wild Boar Schweinebraten (Roast Pork)
- Venison Osso Buco
- Black Pepper Chicken
- Ssamjang Steak
- Char Siu-Style Pork Tenderloin
- Succulent Sous Vide Prawns
- Poolside Paella
- Batch-Cooked Pork Chops, Gingered Yams, and Brussels
- Batch-Cooked Flank Steak, Lentils, and Green Beans
- Pretty Pink Pork Tenderloin
- Wicked Good Pulled Pork Shoulder
- Tender, Juicy Sous Vide Lamb Chops
- Sous Vide Filet Mignon
- Venison Osso Buco
- Crispy Chicken Thighs Made Simple With Sous Vide
- Red Wine Poached Pears
- Butterscotch Pudding in a Jar
- Chocolate Pudding in a Jar
- and many more, including how to videos on a range of cooking subjects
- Or you can buy recipe books specifically for sous vide cooking from Amazon, see below.
Attachments and Accessories:
The ChefSteps Joule Sous Vide comes by itself and that, along with your cell phone, a pot, a zip-lock bag, and water, is all that you need for cooking delicious meals to your exact liking every time. Some accessories available but not required are:
- My Joule Sous Vide Cookbook: 101 Delicious Recipes With Illustrated Instructions For The ChefSteps Joule Immersion Circulator. Available at Amazon in paperback or Kindle versions.
- Big Clamp allows you to attach the Joule to coolers, Cambros, or any other large container. Available from ChefSteps.
- Premium giving you access to all the ChefSteps recipes and videos forever so you’re always inspired to get cooking. Available from ChefSteps.
Amazon rating 4.4 out of 5 stars (83% positive with 4 or 5 stars out of 5).
Fakespot rated the accuracy of Amazon comments “A” and detected 90% high-quality reviews.
Who is the ChefSteps Joule Sous Vide For?
However, if you don’t need to or are not interested in using your phone to control your sous vide device, then have a look at some other options at my blog post, The 10 Best Sous Vide Machines Of 2018.
The ChefSteps Joule Sous Vide – My Final Opinion
The ChefSteps Joule Sous Vide is a highly recommended buy in my book. I give it a 95 out of 100. Besides the convenience of a small device for your small kitchen, the ability to control and monitor it from remote is extremely handy. With regular updates to its Joule app, its software and features will always be up to date. It is sleek, versatile, precise, sturdy, and built to last. You will enjoy cooking with it for years to come
Do you own a ChefSteps Joule Sous Vide cooker? If you have experience or an opinion about this or any other sous vide product, I’d love to hear it. Feel free to leave your comments or questions in the comment box below.
And don’t forget to like this blog by clicking on the logo of your favorite social media.
If you want to get the latest news, posts, and reviews about Small Kitchen Appliances For You, please subscribe at the top right of the page. Your email will not be flooded with spam and your information will not be shared with anyone.