Cuisinart DCC-3400 Stainless Steel Thermal Coffee Maker
- Brews up to 12-Cups with small size option
- Brews at SCAA recommended temperature
- Programmable Auto-On/Off
- Brew Strength Control
- Brew Pause feature
- No integrated coffee grinder
- No pre-infusion
- Difficult to empty carafe
The Cuisinart DCC-3400 Stainless Steel Thermal Coffee Maker addresses one of the most important aspects of brewing good coffee and that is temperature. Most coffee makers brew at the low end or below the best temperature range of 195-205°F (91-96°C) as recommended by the Specialty Coffee Association of America (SCAA). The Cuisinart Thermal Coffee Maker brews at 200°F (93.3°C) exactly the middle of the range. That’s why this machine is also called the PerfecTemp® Coffee Maker. Is this the best one that best suits your needs? Continue reading to learn about the other features of this great appliance in my detailed review.
Cuisinart DCC-3400 Stainless Steel Thermal Coffee Maker – Overview
|Name:||Cuisinart DCC-3400 Stainless Steel Thermal|
|Headquarters:||Stamford, Connecticut, USA|
|CEO:||Ronald T. Diamond|
In addition to brewing coffee at a higher temperature than other coffee makers the
Cuisinart DCC-3400 Stainless Steel Thermal Coffee Maker gives you the choice of brewing regular or bold strength coffee.
It comes with a 24-hour delay timer so you can set the brewing start time and have your morning coffee ready for you when you wake up.
The backlit LCD screen is easy to read and a row of push buttons makes it simple to use. Its ready tone cane be turned on or off.
When it’s time to decalcify an indicator lights and you can start a self-cleaning cycle that saves you from having to do it manually.
Cuisinart DCC-3400 Stainless Steel Thermal Coffee Maker – Features
The Cuisinart DCC-3400 Stainless Steel Thermal Coffee Maker brews 12-cups of coffee and keeps it warm in the stainless steel thermal carafe.
However, if you don’t need a full carafe, you can push the 1 – 4 cup button to brew a smaller amount.
An Easy-to-View water window on the side helps you accurately fill the machine to the right level.
But, if you are in a hurry Brew Pause™ allows you remove the carafe to pour a cup of coffee before the brewing cycle has finished.
Controlling the Cuisinart DCC-3400 Stainless Steel Thermal Coffee Maker is as easy as pushing a button.
Surrounding the LCD display screen are four push buttons on the bezel:
- Tone – turns the ready tone off/on so the process of making coffee doesn’t disturb anyone. Which do you prefer waking you up, the coffee machine or the coffee?
- Program – is used to set the brewing Auto On and Auto Off times up to 24 hours ahead.
- Hr – adjusts the clock and Program hour times.
- Min – adjusts the clock and Program minute times.
Five push buttons below the LCD display are:
- Clean – the ring around the clean button turns red to alert you when it is time to descale the machine. The button starts the self-clean function. Just fill the reservoir 1/3 full with white vinegar and 2/3 water, press and hold the Clean button until the indicator flashes. Run a cycle through with clean water and no coffee after cleaning is done to flush the vinegar taste away.
- Bold – brew coffee the way you like it. Brew Strength Control allows you to choose Bold flavor instead of Regular or medium strength coffee with a simple push of a button.
- Brew/Off – use this button to manually start a brew cycle or to stop it.
- Auto On – if an Auto-On time has been set in the Program mode this button will automatically start brewing at the preset time.
- 1 – 4 button – adjusts the brew process to maximize coffee flavor for less than 5 cups.
In case of a power loss for any reason the unit has one-minute protection that restarts the machine where it was interrupted. Programmed settings, Time of day, Auto On and Auto Off times, are not lost.
Water must be distributed evenly over coffee grounds to ensure full flavor is extracted. The Cuisinart DCC-3400 Stainless Steel Thermal Coffee Maker achieves this with a Showerhead spigot design.
A charcoal water filter is included with the machine to remove chlorine, bad tastes and odors from tap water. It is placed in the removable charcoal water filter holder and lasts up to 60 days or 60 uses.
The built-in filter basket holds a paper filter or a gold-tone filter. Coffee should not be too fine or too coarsely ground. Too fine a grind and over-extraction and bitterness will result. Also, too fine a grind may clog the filter and cause it to overflow. Too coarse a grind will allow water to pass through too quickly and result in weaker flavor. A medium-fine grind is recommended by Cuisinart for this machine.
All parts that come in contact with coffee or liquids is BPA-free to protect your health.
The Cuisinart DCC-3400 Stainless Steel Thermal Coffee Maker has a 3-year limited warranty. The only downside is that you have to pay $10.00 for shipping and handling. However, this is better than some manufacturer’s warranties that require you to pay all shipping costs.
|Finish:||Stainless Steel, Black|
|Voltage:||120VAC, 60 Hz.|
|Dimensions:||9″ (23 cm) x 7.75″ (19.7 cm) x 14.25″ (36.2 cm)|
|Weight:||10.2 lbs. (4.6 kg.)|
Cuisinart DCC-3400 Stainless Steel Thermal Coffee Maker – Pros & Cons
- Brews at SCAA recommended temperature
- Brew Strength Control – Regular or Bold
- Programmable Auto On/Off function
- 12-Cup insulated carafe to keep coffee warm
- Small batch 1 – 4 Cup brewing option
- Brew Pause feature to enjoy a cup before brewing cycle is complete
- Water level window
- Temperature is fixed, no adjustment available
- No pre-infusion for “blooming” of the coffee grind
- Carafe must be completely turned upside down in order to pour the last 1/3 into your cup
- Separate container must be used to fill the water reservoir, the carafe is too difficult to use for that purpose
Cuisinart DCC-3400 Stainless Steel Thermal Coffee Maker – My Final Opinion
The Cuisinart DCC-3400 Stainless Steel Thermal Coffee Maker improves on the taste of drip coffee by brewing at the SCAA recommended temperature. This overcomes one of the major issues with other coffee makers.
However, it does not go all the way to achieving SCAA certification. First, you need a separate coffee grinder to get the fresh taste of ground coffee. After the coffee bean is split it loses flavor very rapidly.
Also, to get optimal extraction of flavor from coffee is to pre-infuse water into the grind for a short time. This is what is called allowing the coffee to “bloom”.
Even with these recommendations lacking, the Cuisinart PerfecTemp® DCC-3400 Coffee Maker is a vast improvement over most other coffee makers of its price range. With the other features of programmability, Brew Strength Control, thermal carafe, small brew size option, Brew Pause, and 3-year warranty this is a wonderful machine.
I give it 8.6 out of 10 and a recommended Buy.
Amazon’s price is one of the best on the Internet. Buy Now by clicking in the box below:
Does this coffee machine meet your needs? To see other choices visit my post, Top 10 Best Coffee Makers For 2019.
Did you enjoy reading this review? Did you find it informative and helpful? If so, click on your favorite social media icon to give it a like and share it with your friends.
And if you are using a Cuisinart DCC-3400 Stainless Steel Thermal Coffee Maker at home, work or elsewhere please leave your feedback, comments or question in the comment box. I’d love to hear from you in order to continuously improve my reviews to help you and others find the best small kitchen appliances for you.